Saturday, March 1, 2008

We are home!!!!!

I thought about posting more than one post but decided to do one. I will have to post pictures later as we are exhausted. Clay is sleeping ok just his routine since got here in the States is messed up. Tuesday night, it was REALLY cold getting off the plane in Atlanta and didnt like the thick coat or hat and looked like I was crazy putting something like that on him until we stepped outside and he was trying to sink further in it. At the point we put his coat on him a gentleman came and helped us with our baggage. I told him we had no cash and only quetzales and that we couldnt accept the help. Well, he was being nice and we felt bad leaving him with nothing after helping us out ALOT!!!!!!! We asked him if there was a currency exchange somewhere in the airport and he said yes so Matt gave him 25 quetzales as a tip and depending on what the days exchange rate it was about 3 dollars but is all we could give him as we needed the rest for Clay's life book.

Just for anyone curious, it didnt take us long at all to go thru immigration with Clay. 5-10 minutes maybe. That was really good!!

We got to my parents house late and Clay really took to my Dad. Took him awhile to take to mom but that is ok. He loved the attention and ate it up. Emma didnt know what to think at first but they were really sweet together. Emma is 4 months older than Clay and a doll. She is quiet and reserved but a sweetie and friendly once getst to know you. She is very independent also. Clay is outgoing and friendly and loves attention. Let me tell you, though, he got sleepy or frustrated or anything he knew where to go. If he couldnt see Matt or I and we didnt come running right that second he would let it know that we were the only ones he wanted.

Thursday we had a big birthday celebration for him and he loved it!!!!!!!!!!! He knew it was all about him, too. I will post some pics and stuff later. I made the bear cakes but didnt really have enough time to decorate them properly in just a day so when realized going to take longer Mom decorated Clay's mini cake and Becky finished the big one. Matt and I just spent time with Clay. You should have seen him with the cake. He was sticking his finger in the icing playing with it until someone showed him he could eat it then he tried some and then someone broke off some when he wouldnt and after that he just made a really big mess. I am not even sure he ate any just played in it. That is ok, though. He loved the toys. We got things he needed for sure, also but as long as he was thrilled and happy that is all that mattered.

By the time I had checked the flight we were listed for the flights were full back to St Louis and the one that wasnt we were just too exhausted to catch so came home today. Got home paid rent and spent time together. I had to get some things as Clay is teething and has a cold. He is sleeping now and since it is something he needs I really hope the sleep helps. I havent got pictures today just memories. That is all that matters though. I will start taking more pictures once I can get past being so tired. He is soooooo active and sooooo awake. HOPING to sleep tonight!! Ok y'all I have to get to bed now but as soon as I can get the pics I need I will post and will also try to add another video or at least a link soon!!!!!!!

6 comments:

Kim, Steve and Zack said...

I'm so happy he had such a great time at his party and he enjoyed his cake even if he didnt eat it LOL
I am so happy for you 3 to be home and finally a forever family!!!
I can't wait to see the pics and video of Clay.
WELCOME HOME CLAY!!!!!!

Lucy Stern said...

I'm here for the first time to your blog and it sounds like you have a new little fella in your house. I hope everything goes well for your family and Clay. Get some sleep and post some pictures when you can.

Xadie's Journey said...

Glad to hear you guys are doing sooooo good. I can't wait to see the pics from Clay's Birthday party!

Alex and Sam said...

carolyn,
so happy to hear you are home safe.. clay seems to be adjusting just fine.. I cant wait to see pics

Stacey and Dewey said...

I just found your blog from the Guat group. Congrats on being home with your new bundle of joy. Best Wishes on your new life as a family of three!! He is a DOLL!!
Stacey

Anonymous said...

Hi
I don't know if you remember me. We met you at Westin, on your first visit trip and on our pick up trip, last July.
I've been following your blog and your procedure. I'm very happy for you, taking the baby home is a great moment and Congratulations!!! I can't believe that that boy was so little when we met him and know he is wonderful.
The first times at home are hard but full of happyness, because one must adopt each other, but the love our children give to us (in fact we give love each other) and the happiness, it's the best!!!
We are very happy here, in Buenos Aires with our Paloma Sofía, that became an Argentine citizen.
All the best for you and your family, blessings for your little boy.
Carina from Buenos Aires - Argentina (mom to Paloma Sofía, homeforever since 16th July).